Sunday, March 31, 2013

Holiness Challenge

Today is First Fruits and the beginning of the counting of the omer--fifty days that lead up from First Fruits to Shavuot (Pentecost). We are commanded to mark each of these days as we count toward the offering of first fruits of wheat. Traditionally, this is considered a time of preparation and spiritual growth, culminating with the giving of the Torah and the Holy Spirit at Shavuot.

One of the things I've been studying recently is holiness. So, I've decided to take these fifty days as a sort of "holiness challenge." I've divided these this out so that each week would correspond with certain "holiness" commandments. My hope is that this will not only help cultivate holiness, but also bring out some understanding of those commandments that are often regarded as purely "ceremonial." Things like kosher and tzitzit and Sabbath--I believe these are not only symbols, but practical boundary markers set in place to help us maintain a standard of holiness.

That being said, I don't claim this to be the best way to divide up holiness and I am almost certainly leaving something out. Nor is my understanding of holiness perfect. But I hope that this is a start in the right direction. You are welcome to join me on this adventure. I'm going to try to post something to the blog each week--I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. After all, challenging and encouraging each other helps us to grow. At any rate, I hope that this will be a season of spiritual growth and learning for all of us--growing closer to our Father and learning His ways as we prepare to receive His Spirit. The chase is on.


Week 1: Time (Sabbath & Prayer)
--focus your day with prayer
--six days of work, seventh day is a Shabbat

Week 2: Home (Mezuzah)
--let nothing unclean enter your gates

Week 3: Relationships (Tzitzit)
--know who you are
--conduct yourself with purity

Week 4: Tongue (Blessings / Leprosy)
--let your mouth and your deeds speak only blessings

Week 5: Possessions (Tithe)
--set apart the first part of everything God has given you

Week 6: Friendships (Kosher)
--maintain proper boundaries in friendship

Week 7: Selflessness (Light)
--do unto others as you would have them do unto you

No comments:

Post a Comment