Sunday, October 23, 2011

Joy

It has been far too long since my last blog post. Sukkot has been busy, but it was amazing and full of joy. Actually, I want to share two scenes of joy from this past week.

The first happened just prior to Sukkot. I went in for an advising appointment at the college to find out what classes I still need to graduate. For the longest time I was under the impression that a meteorology degree leaves very little room for freedom in choosing classes. For the longest time that was true. But when I went in that day, I found that this was no longer true--next semester I have complete freedom in choosing all but two of my classes. Freedom...to pursue my heart's desires without worrying about what my family, friends, or adviser thinks; without worrying about whether it can get me a job or how much money I can make. Freedom to be who I am. Freedom to pursue a dream. And all praise goes to God for granting me this freedom. Coming out of that office, I wanted to jump for joy. Thank you Father.

The second snapshot comes at the end of a Shabbat in the middle of Sukkot. This day I felt what Sukkot is all about--coming together as brothers and sisters and drawing near to our God. Played kickball with the kids, enjoyed some amazing cooking, but the climax of the evening was when we took the speakers outside and danced. To come together and dance before our Father--there is nothing like it. When the joy of community is overcome by the presence of God--words cannot describe it.

So often we get caught up in day to day mediocrity. It's easy to forget the joy of our Father. The joy of the freedom we have in Messiah. The joy of our Father's love for us and His desire to see us prosper and live--really live. The joy of community--the friends and family God has given us. The joy of dancing before our King.

No comments:

Post a Comment